Pain Management Treatment
Pain Management is an interdisciplinary approach that aims to alleviate the pain sensations of patients by using medications and physical & complementary therapies, depending on the intensity of the pain. There are some good alternative treatments in Atlanta for pain management. To ensure the safety of the patients during the pain management treatment process, physicians avoid prescribing long-acting opioids and long courses of short-acting opioids..
Besides, patients should abide by the following rules and guidelines:
- Unprescribed medications should not be taken.
- Do not share your drugs with others.
- Combining opioids with some medications may cause shortness of breath and endanger your life.
- Alcohol or alcoholic products should not be mixed with opioids.
- Keep your prescription safely stored and away from children’s reach.
- Dispose of expired or unused medicines.
Pain management treatment methods:
- Selected group of narcotics, e.g., Percocet (Oxycodone-Acetaminophen) or Norco/Vicodin (Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen) are prescribed immediately after a surgical operation. Anti-inflammatories, e.g., Ibuprofen/Motrin/Advil, Mobic/Meloxicam, Aleve/Naprosyn are also advised to take if necessary.
- Patients may feel nausea and constipation as a side effect of the medications mentioned above. If needed, Zofran, Colace, or Senokot may be taken to avoid potential adverse effects.
If you are having any doubts or concerns regarding the medications, do not hesitate to ask your health practitioner.
- Cold therapy/Cryotherapy is helpful to reduce your post-operative distress, pain, and swelling.
What is Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy, also known as Physiotherapy (PT), is a type of rehabilitative treatment aimed to restore or improve the joint and muscle functionalities as well as physical abilities. This is one of the popular alternative treatments in Atlanta for pain management.
After a restorative or reparative surgical operation of the shoulder, knee, or hip joint, physical therapy helps you alleviate your pain and regain the mobility and functionality of your injured region. Nowadays, physical therapy is familiar to and popular among people of all ages.
Physical Therapy Sessions
A physical therapist mainly focuses on the improvement of your joint or muscle through beneficial exercises and hands-on care. The main goal of a PT session is to bring back the stability of your reconstructed, injured, or impaired joint. This also helps you to prevent any kind of potential disability or severe pain sensations. The treatment process mainly involves:
- Therapeutic physical exercise
- Physical modalities (e.g., massage, electrotherapy, cryotherapy, etc.)
- Rehabilitative or assistive technology
Physical therapy may be necessary for a short or long period, depending on the severity of your injury. The therapist will help you to optimize your overall body movement, enhance your fitness, and restore your muscular and skeletal function, but you must remember that dedication and regularity is the most important thing required to get better.
Your doctor will provide you with the necessary guidelines specifically for your betterment. She may recommend alternative treatments available in Atlanta. Her advice will address your goals, precautions, adverse effects, expert recommendations, upcoming plans, and other obligatory rules to follow.
Make sure you strictly follow the doctor’s provided guidelines to remediate yourself.